Thursday, May 31, 2012

Siyakhana Gardens - the sequel! May 2012

Once again groups of Discovery volunteers headed out to make the world a better place! This time our mission? To bold go where no weed should have gone before!! 

Or in plain English, off we went to help out at the Siykhana gardens in Midrand and Observatory, to weed, paint, plant, push and pull! A chunk of a day off work, getting physical exercise AND helping out the community? Let me on that bus!!

I'd gone once before to the Observatory garden and that's where I went back to again! This time with a camera that works! (Last time it ran out of battery power and I couldn't blog the event! But really it is so much more fun to live a story then write about it! And writing about it is awesome!)

But back to our adventure!


This was my view for most of the bus ride. It was nippy and she had a pom-pom hat on.
I want a pom-pom hat...

 The gardens grow many foods and herbs that shared with the community and schools. They also teach people about food security and how to grow a lot with very very little.

It was heading into winter and yet there were still some interesting looking things growing here, there and everywhere!

 I elected to be one of only two people who decided to paint! Last time I came to the gardens I dug and weeded with the best of them, but this time, it was me and the fence, one on one!

 There is a very godly feeling in changing the colour of something! HAHA!

Also changed the colour of my jeans and T-shirt! I get fully body involved in all I do!

 They gave me a mask to paint with but I took it home for use in ... other indevours. Jo's are big fans of props!

 And a little lunch provided to keep the energy up! Then back to the paint!

 GASP! The illusive mushroom shed! I so want to go in there! We did last time but alas not this time round. When I had a camera. That worked. Life's cruel irony.

Then off we trotted back to the bus. Tired, sweaty and smelling vaguely like jungle.
Another job conquered!!! HAHA!

No comments:

Post a Comment