Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Whenever I see an airplane flying over head I always wait for it to explode.

This expectation comes not from say, growing up in a Taliban family, or having a particular desire to see all those who can afford to fly elsewhere annihilated (Though that one would make for some great therapy sessions should I feel I ever need them), but from watching way, way, way too many action / adventure / horror / thriller movies. (In fact you can blow a plane up in almost any movie genre! Heck even a good Romantic Comedy could start with an unfortunate plane explosion, “Oh no, my husband was just blown to smithereens, thank goodness I have this fabulously handsome, kind hearted stranger to get me through it!”)

It always makes me think of movies where the hero, a James Bond-good looking bloke with reasonable intelligence and a fine set of teeth, comes swooping in at the last moment to rescue the girl of his dreams before the plane explodes. (Which is great for his girl but a bit sucky for everyone else on the plane).

Curiously enough I don’t have a problem with air travel and have done so a few times in my life. As you may have guessed none of my planes blew up. Though we did have a bomb scare once and the airline had to put us up at a hotel and feed us really crumby burgers of which my youngest brother hoarded 7 – just in case. (He was always terribly nervous in planes and didn’t seem to be helped by my sisterly encouragement of “OH MY GOD WHAT WAS THAT??” every time we hit turbulence. I had a great childhood….)

I have no worries about the plane I’m in going down. My view is that there is precious little I can do to make the situation better, not really having the option of: -* File Open - Load Saved Game  Do Not Get On Plane Have A Sleep In Instead*. I’d probably just be resigned to my fate and wonder if it will be quick or slow. Will I die from impact? Or from hitting the water? Or from a bite from the snakes on the plane?! (Hey, it happens in movies!!)

So to anyone going on a trip anytime soon. I’ll be watching your plane go by.
Waiting…



^_^

1 comment:

  1. My name is on the Internets! I'm famous! :D

    Lol, good post, got me chuckling. I have to agree, if the world were really like the movies... there wouldn't be a world left.

    ReplyDelete