Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day tripping for fructose

Now I've always enjoyed going fruit shopping. For me it's a thrill that is only beaten by two things - eating the fruit after you buy it and something else I can't publish as kids read this blog as well.

I thought you might like to come with me to my favorite fruit shop and do a little shopping with me? Non-South Africans, you can do a quick calculation on some of the prices and let me know if you think they're good or not!

Shall we go then?

Fruit Lovers Market indeed! Just pulling up outside it gives you such a thrill of anticipation! You never know what's going to be available when it comes to fruit and vegetables, ooooh hope there's something we'll love!! Race you!!!

First order of business is to find a shopping trolley worthy of being the chariot that bares our bountiful goodness! Generally the trolleys here are well behaved. No rogue wheels sending you into the tomato display or anything, but you do get a lot that seem to twine about each other, giving you a fabulous arm workout as you try to separate one from the other. Pull damn you, pull!!

GASP! Look! Watermelons right outside and looking so wanton! Shall we adopt one and give it a home? The trick is to listen for the THUNK. Um really that's the best way I can explain it. People do look at you a little weird when you're putting your ear to the melon and tapping away, but so far my success rate has been pretty awesome! Please hold your applause.

As to the pumpkins right next to the melons, lets pass on those. I'm not keen on pumpkin myself and you don't look like the sort who could polish one off on your own.

Time to chose from all the fruit! There's loose stuff, bagged stuff, packaged stuff, bunched stuff, and stuffed stuff! It's like a small heaven on earth! (The 'having to pay for it all' bit keeps your feet on the ground, but only just!) What will you be having, litchis or plums? I think some litchis for me, they're looking so lovely today!

This fruit shop even has a section for you to buy some groceries if you need them. Like if you have a sudden craving for baked beans and watermelon, or sardines with sugar and apples!

Look at all the nuts! Holy smurf! How do you chose? Well I'm allergic to pretty much any nut that starts with a 'P' (Peanuts, pistachios and Pecans) but the raw cashews look good, and I think some almonds would go down a treat!
Oh! Where did you wander off to?

Aaah I see you found the sweeties! There's a vast range to choose from, most are pretty much like the nut display only slathered in chocolate. But you're so sweet already, do you really need more?

Oh this sushi table gets me! You can sit down for a minute and chose what you'd like to eat from the little, brightly coloured sushi bowls that go past you on the conveyor track. I could use one of these to put different bits of fruit on and munch randomly from! Would you like some raw fish to nibble on?

If not then perhaps you'd like something fishy to cook at home? The shop comes with a meat section (I forgot to take a pic of their red meatiness, so lets skip that part) and a seafood section for you to chose what oceany denizen you want to fry up tonight. Calamari, squid, crab, mussels, oysters... you name it, they're there for the taking!

Seriusly any sort of seafood you could want! (Humph, that smear on the glass is ruining my squid viewing! Someone should get a rag on it!)

Mmmmh! Can you smell those spices? I love this part of the shop! The curry and coriander and allspice smell so fantastic! You want to take it all home and pour it all over your supper and just inhale!! (I used to over do it a lot so inhaling the scents was about all you could do, eating them was not an option.)
Want some cinnamon?

Ah baked goods. Cant eat them myself but I like the smell, it's a very warm and friendly one. Hey don't you think that assistant has cute buns? Okay okay it was a cheesy joke!
Speaking about cheese... There certainly is enough variety! Farm fresh or old, blue and moldy, a cartoon mouse would be in raptures! If it stinks to high heaven, here is where it's to be found!

And finally, after all that, why don't you pop on over to the dessert counter and get yourself something chocolately. for blood sugar of course!

Fruit shopping is never boring! It's far, far too entertaining! My eyes just can't get enough of these awesome goodies and I don't eat 90% of the stuff!! Alice can have wonderland, I've found my magical place!

Did you enjoy your trip to the fruit shop? Would you like to come again? Want to buy me something next time, I have a list...

No comments:

Post a Comment