Thursday, March 18, 2010

Wow What a Wonderland!

We decided, on a bit of a whim really, to go watch Alice in wonderland. Now we don’t often go to movies, (as in ever, I feel it’s sort of a form of mild torture), and especially to new releases, (Being flattened in a stampede of over-deodranted teens and folk whose life motto seems to be “Popcorn or Bust!!!”, never really worked for us). But we had two things in our favour:-
1. IT was end of month and there’s always more month then money so we figured the seething masses might wait a bit. Add to it a public holiday this weekend – bonus!
2. It was also St. Patrick’s Day which means every alcoholic, sorry “social drinker” was out seeing how fast he could kill his brain cells, not improve them.
The cinema would be ours!!

We road to the mall on our bike. It was lovely out in the fresh open air! And Ursh isn’t the sort to ride so fast that when you get to your destination you have to pardon yourself to go to the loo so that you can pick stray bugs and small birds out your teeth!

We went to see Alice in 3-D. It’s not really my bag of chips though. Sure some floaty leaves look like they’re coming out the screen and I’m sure that’s a religious experience for some, but for me I find it makes the film very blurry and the glasses like to cut grooves in my nose that make it look like someone has only just taken off my harness!

The movie itself was Marvelous! Alice is very sassy and awfully lucky not to get a single stretch mark from all that growing and shrinking! The mad hatter was certainly a nutty fellow and his hair was almost as orange as I dye mine! The red queen (a tragic but ultimately gruesome figure), the white queen (A life loving beauty who seems to have some sort of birth defeat that requires her having to hold her arms up all the time) and the Cheshire Cat (I agree with you kitty, that was a nifty hat!) are all exquisitely done and make the movie three kinds of delicious to watch!



I did have issues with the Jabberwocky mind. They do build you up so you get all excited thinking, whatever is this monster like? And when he does appear? Well sure he’s big mean and ferocious but he does look a bit like an angry rooster who maybe fell in a vat of tar on the way over. And what was it with the posing? There’s your mortal enemy (A sharp toothpick wielded by a slim lass) and you’re too busy climbing stairs slowly and bopping things around with your wings to get down to the nitty-gritty! Now I’m sure any lady Jabberwockies’ would be swooning, you mucho thing you, but I myself would just have swooped in and used my superior size and strength to chomp Alice in two! But yeah, that’s just me…



And I’m not sure exactly why Alice goes back to “The real world”? She could live in a magical world of wondrous things, with true friends and people who genuinely love and accept her for who she is, but instead she chose to go back to mediocrity? Girl! What were you thinking?



I do thoroughly recommend the movie though; it’s a well worthy night’s entertainment!
And, if you’re lucky enough to go by bike on a cool autumn night when there’s far away lightning painting the sky and icy cold bites of stars out, then indeed you get to have you’re a little magical adventure of your own thrown in for free!

^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment