Monday, November 1, 2010

Once again I was invited to a do where you could dress up! Now any one who knows me knows that already this ensnared my interest like an ant in tar! But my ears really perked up when I discovered it was a Halloween party. HOORAY! One of the few times that no matter how ugly, sleazy, trashy or weird your costume is, chances are you will get approval for it!

Mind you, you then have to decide what you want to go as. I decided then and there I’d not go as a vampire. Those guys have been getting entirely too much press lately! A zombie held my interest for a mo, but I wasn’t sure what to use for fake blood, and getting my hands on real blood could have meant cops showing up half way through the party with a bloody axe and the need to ask me a few questions.

Mind you women are generally expected to dress up as something sexy on Halloween. Guys get to go all gory and freakish as Frankenstein, bloody corpses, zombies, or ANC members but women are all sexy devils, black kitties in skintight cat suits or playboy bunny rabbits.
(Leporiphobia, a specific phobia, is an abnormal, debilitating, and often paralyzing fear of evil mutant bunny rabbits – now you know, go impress your friends.)

I couldn’t decide between going as a Goth girl (I’m getting divorced, Emo comes naturally) or if I should go as a punk and be a matching set to my friend. (Who’s blue Mohawk caused quiet a stir!).

In the end I decided to blend both and damn the consequences.
It actually worked out pretty well!

Now the party was for the wife of a friend’s friend whom I didn’t know. This was very pleasing. I just love meeting new people! I love to fix a picture of what I think they’ll look like in my mind, the people, the place, even the food, and then rock up and have a joyful few minutes comparing the reality to my imagination.

This time round reality was much, much nicer then what I’d imagined! The folk were friendly, the costumes they wore fun and inventive and there was actually food I could eat! (Though sadly there wasn’t any watermelon, a large gaping flaw it took me a while to get over).

I also met two other vegans! Egad hooray, I’m not alone in my weird eating habits! (They’re not as strict as me but then, who is?) A vampire that enjoys a good strawberry, a sassy 16 year old and a great grand mother with a lot of fire and spunk and many other interesting characters!

The highlight of the evening though came when someone foolishly opened up a tube of glow sticks.
Now there are few things as satisfying as hearing that nice crunching sound as you crack up a glow stick and watch the neon colours emerge! And of course you can’t just do one! You have to do a blue one and a red one and a green one and then another blue one cause the first one came out so well and then…

We ended up cutting some open and I had a small gaggle of kids using my tattoos to track over with various glowy chemicals. (Later we read on the box that you’re not actually supposed to cut them open, them being dangerous and all that, but really, how were we supposed to know?)

Sadly because we lived on the other side of forever, we couldn’t stay as long as we’d have liked. Completely daft me forgot to ask for people’s contacts so now I have to go asking, “No man who was that nice person! You know the one in black! They were all in black? No but they were the awesome ones!!”

All in all though it was a lot of fun and if anyone wants a repeat performance, well I guess I will go, just to please you guys of course….
p.s. stock watermelon…

No comments:

Post a Comment