Monday, May 31, 2010

Cellar Rats Winter Wine Festival 2010 - Hic

This weekend our Frisky Foursome decided it was a good time to visit the Cellar Rats Winter Wine Festival in the Magaliesburg. (It’s right opposite “Happy acres” – now we know how it got its name?)

[[Onwards!!]]

Ursh was brought along to stay sober and drive everyone home, Michelle and Sharon were there to taste the wines, repeatedly if necessary (They are very noble that way), and I was there to… I’m sure there was a good reason…

[[I had to take a pic of this! This is the stamp you get when you aren't drinking, aka got in free. Me? A designated driver? The world trembles!!!]]

The festival itself was a small collection of stalls inviting you to, after paying an entrance fee, sample the many wines on offer. I’m told the Spring Festival is almost three times larger and that must be something, for although this one was small, the booze flowed fast and freely.

[["I'll have this one please!"]]

We set up a nice little picnic spot (Mostly for Jo's to munch at and for everyone else to take a break between wine splurging). Because there was also a rugby game on, there were not that many people there, which made finding a spot easy and the whole thing rather pleasant.

[[Classic Jo food. Mushrooms and Habanero peppers! Num num num, and no, you can't have any! *swots hand away*]]

And then there were the wines! Actual wine, Muskadels, ports, brandies, Sherries, grappa and all sorts of intoxications waiting to be tried! And try them they did! Ursh and I “sampled” liquor via our noses! And before your head fills with silly but interesting images of us snorting up various liquids, no, we mealy sniffed at the wines to give an opinion that ran along the lines of “Oh! That does smell nice!” or “Ugh! No! Get it away!!!” (I always thought it a rip that my eyes weren’t so good but instead of getting supersonic hearing or telekinetics as a make up, I just got a great sense of smell…)

[[Honeybush? Nougat? What a variety, and this is just one table!!]]

I noticed that as the day wore on so the crowds became rather merry! Luckily the people there weren’t the drunken brawling kind and everyone seemed to be having a really good time! (By the way some kept going back to the stalls over and over, it was a really, REALLY good time!)

[[And who can say no, besides me, to an after action cigar?]]

In the end we made quiet a killing and walked off with a vast array of different drinks. If you walked out a bottle store with the amount we bought you’d be labeled an Alkie but at a festival well, you’re just stocking up, right?

[[I can't say how long this lot will last but if it takes us to the next festival then it's done us proud! And please note the bottle of pesto bought! I'm sure that's a sign that we're not total booze hounds?]]

I’m rather keen now to see the Spring Festival! By any chance will I see you there?

^_^

1 comment:

  1. wonderful!! I suddenly have an urge for wine and its not even 9am!!

    ReplyDelete